Saturday 7 September 2013

Religious Habits

I don't know whether I have just been in the right places at the right times over the last few days, but I seem to be seeing more Religious wearing their habits in public recently. Could this be the beginnings of a revival? If so, it would be wonderful.

Notably, a few days ago, two sisters of the Missionaries of Charity (Blessed Teresa of Calcutta's order) in full habit, got on a bus on which I was travelling and then spent much of their journey quietly praying the Rosary: a splendid example of quiet and dignified witness to Our Lord and His Blessed Mother, and quite humbling to be in the presence of.

 

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, pray for us.

The following evening, I came face-to-face with a Capuchin Friar, again fully habitted, as I was leaving a railway station, and who wished me a polite 'Good Evening' (immediately putting me in mind of the Holy Father's first greeting from the balcony).

 

Capuchin Franciscan habits, in readiness for a ceremony of Clothing (source http://www.capuchin.org/)

It's lovely to see Religious dressed as such, and very comforting - just nice to be aware that these people are around and praying for us (I always try to say a short prayer for them, and recall any intentions of my own, when I see someone in habit). It is also important and powerful witness, especially these days when it seems every religion apart from Christianity is making a big thing of distinctive dress (you can't go very far in London without seeing someone in a hijab, turban, burka, orthodox Jewish garb, etc.).

Please pray that more Religious will have the courage to return to the use of their habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...